Avoiding the Missteps – Debt Collection, Bankruptcy and Estate Planning
Lawyers Face Many Potential Landmines
WILMIC’s Summer Seminar will include two panel discussions – one on debt collection and bankruptcy work, the other on representing clients in estate planning.
Panelists include Madison bankruptcy and collections attorney David Krekeler and Madison estate planning attorney Bill Williams.
WILMIC Claims Attorneys Matt Beier and Brian Anderson will join them to discuss malpractice claims in these areas and how lawyers can avoid the common pitfalls. The panel discussions will include the following topics:
– Ethical Issues in Collections
– What to Know Before You Sue
– Regulation of Debt Collection Activity (FDCPA and WCA)
– What to Know During Suit and Post-Judgment
– How Bankruptcy Impacts Collection Activity
– Dealing with unhappy beneficiaries and broken families
– Who is your client?
– Avoiding conflicts of interest
– Scope of representation
– Dealing with non-clients/disinherited beneficiaries
– Will and Trust contests
3.0 CLE / Ethics Credits Applied For
Attend in person or via live webcast
$40 WILMIC policyholders
$75 Non-WILMIC policyholders
$10 Office staff